ATLANTA, Ga.—A goal in the 77th minute was the deciding factor Friday evening as Oglethorpe defeated the Birmingham-Southern men's soccer team, 1-0, in Atlanta, Ga.
The Panthers fell to 8-2-2 overall and 0-2-1 in the Southern Athletic Association; the Stormy Petrels moved to 8-2-1 overall and 3-0 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a handful of chances early in the first half, both team's defenses stepped up for a strong effort on both sides of the ball, with the teams combining for four shots on goal, one of which was the Petrels' score late in the game.
- In the 77th minute, Arturo Hernandez shot from deep right and scored his third goal of the year, with the assist from Gustavo Martinez.
- OU out-shot BSC 15-6, including 6-1 in the second half.
- The Petrels held the advantage in corner kicks, 6-2.
- Junior Dallas Coyne recorded a team-high two shots for the Panthers.
- Junior goalkeeper Marvin Castellanos made one save, four minutes into the game, and played all 90 minutes in net.
- Tonight's game was only BSC's second loss of the season, and its first shutout loss.
- BSC remains in the state of Georgia to face Berry College on Sunday at 12 p.m. ET.