BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—A goal by sophomore Alec Medd with 55 seconds left in double overtime lifted the Birmingham-Southern men's soccer team to a 1-0 win over Centre, Friday evening on Preston Goldfarb Field at Berylson Soccer Park.
The Panthers move to 10-2-2 overall and 2-2-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, while Centre falls to 6-6-1 overall and 2-2 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC out-shot Centre 6-5 in the first half, with junior goalkeeper Marvin Castellanos recording four saves for the Panthers and Centre keeper Bailey Spade making two saves.
- The Colonels nearly broke the scoreless tie as time wound down in regulation at the end of the second, but Castellanos stopped the ball to send the game to overtime.
- The first overtime period was scoreless, with the Panthers out-shooting the Colonels 6-0, including one shot-on-goal.
- In the final minute of the second overtime period, junior Chris Duffey passed the ball in from the right side where Medd sent it in past a diving Centre keeper.
- Overall the Panthers out-shot the Colonels 20-13, 8-7 on-goal, led by junior Dallas Coyne with six shots.
- Castellanos ended up with six saves, and Spade had seven.
- BSC had five corner kicks, one more than Centre.
- The game was somewhat heated, with nine cards issued, including three red cards.
- It was the sixth overtime game for BSC this year, and the fourth double-overtime contest.