BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Birmingham-Southern men's tennis team (2-3) earned a 6-3 win over Huntingdon College (7-3) to win its second straight match Saturday at the BSC Tennis Complex.
Stewart Thrash and Sawyer Voges won 8-5 over Zac Baldwin and Bobby Foroughian at No. 1 doubles. Tony DaMaia and Christian Matthews claimed an 8-4 win over Tyler Creamer and Larry Pritchett at No. 2 doubles to stake BSC to a 2-1 lead heading into singles.
Voges won in straights over Foroughian, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 1 and Patrick Hire eased past Creamer, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3. Lance Mengel captured a 6-2, 6-3 win over Trey Pirtle at No. 5 and Ben Reardon won 6-0, 6-4 at No. 6 for BSC's match clinching four points.
The Panthers return to action against Transylvania on Friday in Orange Beach, Fla.
Tennis Match Results
Huntingdon College vs Birmingham-Southern
Mar 09, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala. - (BSC Tennis Complex)
Birmingham-Southern 6, Huntingdon College 3
1. Sawyer Voges (BSC) def. Bobby Foroughian (HC) 6-2, 7-5
2. Zac Baldwin (HC) def. Christian Matthews (BSC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Patrick Hire (BSC) def. Tyler Creamer (HC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Larry Pritchett (HC) def. Tony DaMaia (BSC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lance Mengel (BSC) def. Trey Pirtle (HC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ben Reardon (BSC) def. Tyler Chaffee (HC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Stewart Thrash/Sawyer Voges (BSC) def. Zac Baldwin/Bobby Foroughian (HC) 8-5
2. Tony DaMaia/Christian Matthews (BSC) def. Tyler Creamer/Larry Pritchett (HC) 8-4
3. Tyler Chaffee/Trey Pirtle (HC) def. Patrick Hire/Blake Nuwayhid (BSC) 8-3
Huntingdon College 7-3