COLUMBUS, Ga.—The Birmingham-Southern softball team split on Sunday to finish the weekend at 4-2 in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Leadoff Classic in Columbus, Ga.
The Panthers now stand at 14-4 on the season. BSC defeated No. 23 Linfield College, 8-7, to advance to the championship game of the silver bracket, where they fell to No. 7 East Texas Baptist University, 5-4.
On Saturday, BSC beat No. 24 Kean, 6-2, and No. 22 Alma, 3-0.
BSC VS. LINFIELD
- The Panthers scored a run in the top of the first and then added two more in the top of the third before the Wildcats put one on the board in the bottom of the third.
- Linfield cut it to 3-2 in the bottom of the fourth with a run scored on an error, and then pulled ahead 5-3 with three runs in the fifth.
- BSC responded in the top of the sixth when junior Alex Skene tied it up with a two-run double, and an RBI single by junior Maddie Ridgway put the Panthers back in the lead, 6-5.
- The Wildcats did not stay down long, scoring two in the bottom of the sixth to pull back ahead, 7-6.
- A home run by freshman Catherine Coffey in the top of the seventh tied it up 7-7, and BSC pulled ahead later that half-inning on an RBI single by freshman Kendall Hamm.
- Freshman Peighton Ponder then struck out two of three Linfield batters in the bottom of the seventh to pick up the win, moving to 2-1 on the year.
BSC VS. ETBU
- The Panthers scored first, putting up three in the top of the third, but the Tigers scored twice in the bottom of the third.
- Each team scored once in the fifth, and BSC held a 4-3 lead heading to the bottom of the ninth before ETBU, with two outs, scored on two straight RBI singles to end the game with a 5-4 win.
- Ponder took the loss, falling to 2-2.
- BSC returns home to host in-state rival Huntingdon this Thursday, March 17, in a 3 p.m. doubleheader at BSC Softball Park.