BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 16 Birmingham-Southern softball team picked up two shutout victories at home on Tuesday, defeating Covenant College twice, both by the score of 8-0.
The Panthers moved to 27-6 and have won eight straight games, while the Scots fell to 14-17-1.
- BSC put up five runs in the bottom of the third inning, beginning with a two-run home run by sophomore Micaela Beck.
- The Panthers added three more in the bottom of the fourth, and then held Covenant scoreless in the top of the fifth to end the game early.
- Beck and freshmen Abby Spencer, Haley Crumpton, and Kendall Hamm all recorded two hits apiece.
- Beck and Crumpton led with two RBI each.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (15-2) threw the complete-game shutout, giving up only three hits and no walks with six strikeouts.
- The Panthers scored single runs in the first, third, and fourth innings, and then scored four in the fifth to pull ahead 7-0.
- With no outs and Spencer on first after a lead-off single, junior Maddie Ridgway bunt singled and went to third on a Covenant error, which allowed Spencer to score to end the game early again.
- Spencer and Beck were both 2-of-3 at the plate.
- Crumpton (4-2) started in the circle and threw five shutout innings, giving up only one hit and no walks with eight strikeouts; freshman Peighton Ponder pitched the final inning.
- BSC hosts No. 2 Emory this Saturday, April 9, in a 2 p.m. doubleheader.
- The games will be a Black-Out; fans are encouraged to wear black as BSC attempts to upset its regional rival.