COLLIERVILLE, Tenn.—A walk-off RBI single by freshman Abby Spencer in the bottom of the ninth lifted the No. 6 Birmingham-Southern softball team to a 3-2 win against fifth-seeded Hendrix, Friday afternoon.
The Panthers moved to 35-6 and have won 16 straight games; the Warriors fell to 20-17.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Vikings scored twice in the second, and the Panthers tied things up in the fourth inning.
- Spencer's game-winning hit came in the bottom of the ninth, allowing junior Torrie Garner to score from third.
- Garner was 2-of-4 and Spencer was 2-of-5 at the plate.
- Freshman Haley Crumpton (8-2) came in for the final two innings and got the win after giving up no hits or runs with two strikeouts.
- Junior Taylor Harkins pitched the first seven innings and gave up six hits with four strikeouts.
- BSC , the No. 1 seed, will face No. 2 Berry tomorrow at 4 p.m.